this is sad, because i am a major birthday princess. you guys know this. every year, i get excited on september first and do a total countdown until the big day. i've loved my birthday ever since i can remember, and always looked forward to it even more than christmas.
except this year. aside from a little poking around to find birthday freebies, i'm just not into it. at all. so far, i've learned that i can sip a free drink at starbucks, get into disneyland for free (which is crap, because how much fun would it be to go by myself? and they just raised their admission price to a whopping $72. aren't we in a recession?), and i can go soak in stinky sulfur baths at glen ivy spa (but i just went this weekend, which i still need to share). big whoop. i wonder what other free shit i can score tomorrow?
i'm still all depressed and hormonal due to operation wean the bean, my metabolism is slamming to a screeching halt, we're in the throes of operation downsize, the 'do is looking super shaggy but i won't/can't get it cut till after the wedding, my toenail polish is totally chipped up, and i'm staring 40 right in the face.
FORTY! fuck, man. that's fucking old. i know it's just a number, but those are some ugly ass digits. and ha - looking at last year's countdown post, i see this is a recurring whine from me. i think i need to get a grip.
you know, for being as much of a birthday princess as i usually am, i kind of suck at other people's special days. dang. my apologies to all of you who endure day-after birthday phone calls from me - and i know there are quite a few. i'm sorry.
and i need to look at the bright side. for as many boo.s i just listed, i have just as many yay!s - and probably more.
- the hub, who's been super patient and trying his best to boost my enthusiasm for my birthday.
- the teen, who is always so supportive and funny. she just went to her first (western-themed) high school dance last weekend and she looked so cute.
- the bean, who just has to smile and everything is right in the world again.
- the ever-cheerful ILs, who are so sweet and helpful with everything we ever need.
- my parents, who just took me and the girls on a super spectacular cruise that was totally fun.
- all of my friends, who make day-to-life so much better even when we aren't together in person.
- and, well, i'm cute.
come on now. the attention whore that is me couldn't completely disappear.