and it was TOTALLY worth the wait.
i have a couple of good friends who read and loved the books, saw it last weekend, and thought it was a super cheesefest. i place a lot of trust in their judgment, and was desperately hoping that this would be one of the rare times that i disagreed with them. and as you can see from the title of this post...whee!
we sat down just as the previews started. there were so. many. stinking. previews. good lord! the teen hissed "just show us twilight already, nobody cares about these." i laughed and crunched on my nachos, but i was on the same page with her. we giggled together as we watched and waited, and then finally, finally:
the teen was dancing in her seat and silent-squealing with joy.
i love peter facinelli, even though he looks weird with that hair:
so, a few thoughts:
- i still don't care for rob pattinson. after reading the books, i had the character of edward cullen on a really high pedestal (as most twilight readers do, i'd think), and poor rob wasn't even halfway up it. he did an okay job, and i resigned myself to the fact that he wasn't going to be replaced in the sequel(s). he looks a'ight from the side, but that full-front view just doesn't do it for me. and after watching and listening to him on the tonight show (um, personal hygiene, rob. fo' real. get some), ew. EW.
- while a lot of folks didn't like kristen stewart, who plays bella, i loved her. she played the part exactly as i'd imagined as i mowed my way through the series, and she even looked just as i thought she would.
- jacob. JACOB! can't. wait. for. new. moon. team jacob, holla!
- i was thrilled that the movie followed the book pretty closely. the teen was bummed that there were lots of parts missing, but i explained to her that cramming a 500-page book into a 2-hour movie wasn't really feasible.
- there were, indeed, some uber cheesetastic parts. i won't lie. but i didn't care - i looked past them and just LOVED this movie. hell, we wanted to plant our asses in the theater and watch it again, right away. and as it wound to a close, i knew this would be one DVD that we'll buy on the very day it comes out.